A letter from Steven Taylor,
CEO of the Sjögren's Syndrome Foundation
The Sjögren's Syndrome Foundation is proud to be the only national non-profit organization focused on increasing research, education and awareness for Sjögren's.
When we were founded in 1983 the mission was simple: help patients cope with their Sjögren's, increase awareness, and support Sjögren's research efforts. Today, our mission has remained the same while we have grown into a multi-faceted organization that has expanded its outreach, increased its funding for research and education, and continued to raise awareness for this common, yet little known disease.
Today, the Foundation:
- spends over $400,000 annually for research initiatives.
- oversees 65+ support groups throughout the United States and Canada.
- conducts professional awareness initiatives and conferences to increase physicians, nurses and other healthcare professional’s knowledge of Sjögren's.
- expands general awareness of Sjögren's by partnering with national and local media outlets.
- manages our annual patient seminar for patients and their families
- serves as the lead organization for all other Sjögren's groups, worldwide.
Since 2005, the Foundation has been recognized annually by the National Health Council (NHC) for meeting their Standards of Excellence. These standards were developed by the NHC to ensure that voluntary health agencies were maintaining the highest standards of organizational effectiveness and public stewardship.
The Foundation has also received the Independent Charities of America Seal of Excellence. This is awarded to the members of Independent Charities of America that have, upon rigorous independent review, been able to certify, document, and demonstrate on an annual basis that they meet the highest standards of public accountability, program effectiveness, and cost effectiveness.
We are proud of all that we have accomplished, and the tremendous strides we have made in recent years. The Foundation’s commitment to patients will never change; they are the reason we were founded and the reason we continue to operate today.
I hope you will take time to visit our various pages about what the Foundation does throughout the United States. Thanks to a small staff and a hundreds of volunteers nationwide, the Foundation is truly on pace for great discoveries over the next few years.
Thanks for visiting sjogrens.org.
Chief Executive Officer